Below guide will teach you How to Perform a Basic Engine Tune-Up . Please follow the instructions carefully.
Things You’ll Need:
- Combination Wrench Set
- Socket and Ratchet Set
- Spark Plug Gapper
- Spark Plug Socket Set
- Spark Plug Wire Puller
- 3/8 in. Drive 6 in. Socket Extension
- Air Filter
- Distributor Cap
- Distributor Rotor
- Spark Plug
- DIY Costs: Est. $173.65 parts only
- Shop Costs: Est. $402.54 parts and labor
- Make sure that engine is cold. Prop up the engine hood and look for the air filter, the spark plugs, rotor and distributor cap. These are the essential components which need to be checked wile doing basic engine tuning tasks.
- Unclip the air box filter and take the air filter out.
- Use vacuum to remove debris and dust from the air filter box. Replace the old air filter box with the new one.
- Hold and pull the spark plug wire from the spark plug wire boot. With the help of ratchet, spark plug socket or socket extension take the spark plug away from the cylinder head.
- Replace the old plug with new one. Before threading the new plug in the head, make sure that the gap on the plug is according to the specifications. Plug the wire back to the new spark plug.
- If your distributive cap needed to be replaced, disconnect the cap from the wires and install the new rotor along with new cap. Reconnect the wires to the cap carefully. Make sure you don’t mix up the wires.
Tips & Warning
- Use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while doing repair work on your vehicle. This protective clothing such as safety goggles, latex gloves, and closed toe shoes keep your safe from injuries.