Below guide will teach you How to Perform a Basic Engine Tune Up – Replacing a Distributor Cap and Rotor . Please follow the instructions carefully.
Things You’ll Need:
- Combination Wrench Set
- Socket and Ratchet Set
- Spark Plug Wire Puller
- Distributor Cap
- Distributor Rotor
- DIY Costs: Est. $129.81 parts only
- Shop Costs: Est. $216.42 parts and labor
- Take the cap of the old distributor off. Make sure that you don’t disturb the plug wires attached to it.
- Take the old rotor out and position the new rotor in its place.
- Now, you have to fix the new distributor cap. Make sure that you position the new cap exactly in the same way as the old one, i.e. there are two certain positions on which a cap can be clipped on, but here you have to make certain that you clipped the cap in a way as old cap was clipped.
- Next, you have to unplug the wires from the old cap and plug them in the new cap in same way. Start with the wire that is nearer to the first plug. Install the wire in a clockwise rotation.
- Once all the wires are attached to the new cap, turn the vehicle on and observe that the vehicle starts smoothly and there are no missing sounds.