Below guide will teach you How to Replace a Distributor Cap . Please follow the instructions carefully.
Things You’ll Need:
- Socket and Ratchet Set
- 3/8 in. Drive Ratchet
- DIY Costs: Est. $0.00 parts only
- Shop Costs: Est. $63.24 parts and labor
- Prop the hood up and look for the distributor.
- On the distributor, locate the clips holding the cap. Unclip the distributor cap and take it off from the distributor. Make sure that you don’t remove the spark plug wires from it.
- Examine the bottom of the cap for carbon signs.
- Take a new rotor and install it in place of old rotor.
- Now, fit a new distributor cap onto the distributor exactly in same way as old cap was positioned.
- Next, you need to shift the wires one by one from old cap to the new cap. Start from the wire nearer to the first plug indicator on the cap. Don’t disconnect the wires at a same time or randomly as it can cause damage to the components.
- Turn the vehicle on and observe that it starts smoothly and easily without premature ignition.