Below guide will teach you How to Replace a Ball Joint . Please follow the instructions carefully.
Things You’ll Need:
- Ball Joint Separator
- Ball Peen Hammer
- Socket and Ratchet Set
- Jack Stand Set
- Standard Wrench Set
- 1/2 in. Drive Torque Wrench
- Ball Joint
- DIY Costs: Est. $65.65 parts only
- Shop Costs: Est. $304.54 parts and labor
- Park the car on a flat surface and apply the parking brake.
- Raise the front of the vehicle with floor jack. To ensure your safety during repair work, it is better to secure the vehicle on jack stands.
- Unfasten the lug nuts from the front wheels and take them away.
- Secure the lower control arm with a floor jack. Take the cotter pin away from ball joint holding nut.
- Unfasten the nut and remove the ball joint from the knuckle with the help of ball joint separator.
- You need to have a special tool to pull the damaged ball joint out from the upper or lower control arm.
- Take a new ball joint and insert it into the control arm.
- Reinstall the steering knuckle on the control arm.
- Keeping in view the manufacturer’s specifications, torque the castle nut accordingly.
- Replace the old cotter pin with new one.
- Put the front wheels back to the vehicle and secure them with lug nuts.