Below guide will teach you How to Replace a Plastic Bumper Cover . Please follow the instructions carefully
Things You’ll Need:
- Buffing Ball
- Bumper Cove
- DA Sander
- Socket and Ratchet Set
- Spray Gun
- Trim Panel Removal Tool
- 3/8 in. Drive Ratchet
- DIY Costs: Est. $515.19 parts only
- Shop Costs: Est. $805.55 parts and labor
Follow the directions given in the following lines to replace a plastic bumper cover yourself:
- Bumper covers are usually attached with clips or screws. Use the appropriate tool, i.e. door trim tool for clips and screwdriver for screws to disconnect the bumper cover from the vehicle.
- After removing the bumper, you need to sand the tattered area. Use heavier grit sandpaper in the start and end up with lighter grit sandpaper.
- Use an old cloth to wipe off the dust or dirt from the surface.
- On the sanded surface, use a thin coat of body filler and leave it to dry.
- Once the coat is dry, sand the area again until it smoothes down.
- Now you have to paint the whole bumper cover. For this, wash the bumper with a solution of alcohol and water.
- Start off with applying a primer coat to the damaged area. Then, apply a basecoat of paint on the area. Make use of blending technique to blend the basecoat to the entire bumper cover.
- Once the basecoat is dry, apply the clear coat of the paint following the same technique as in previous step.
- Let the clear coat dry for sometime. After the coat is dry, examine the surface carefully to find any sign of nibs or dirt stuck in the paint coat.
- Take a razor blade and clear the large particles of dust.
- Take a spray bottle, fill it with soapy water and spray on the surface where dirt is stuck.
- Take 1500 grit sandpaper soaked in soapy water and sand the area by applying mild pressure in a circular motion.
- Replace the 1500 grit sandpaper with 2000 grit sandpaper and sand the area.
- Take a solution of alcohol and water and clean the entire bumper cover. Use a damp cloth to wipe off the surface.
- For swirl marks, apply compound polish to remove them.
- Install the bumper cover reversing the entire process. Replace the old and damage clips or screws with new ones to secure the bumper cover in its place properly.