Below guide will teach you How to Replace a Rear Body Panel . Please follow the instructions carefully.
Things You’ll Need:
- Body Panel
- Body Hammer
- DA Sander
- Spray Gun
- Trim Panel Removal Tool Set
- DIY Costs: Est: $260.37 parts only
- Shop Costs: Est: $884.31 parts and labor
If you want to save some dollars and want to replace a rear body panel yourself, here are the simple instructions for you:
- First you need to take the bumper assembly away from the car. Detach any lights or other parts as well.
- Next you have to take out rear panel, floor cover, spare tire, fuel tank and exhaust system.
- Also disconnect all the electrical connections and wiring.
- Take the rear body panel out by cutting it from the vehicle.
- Wipe the dirt and other contaminants from the surface. Do all the required repair work, so that you can install a new rear body panel.
- You need to do some welding work to install a new rear body panel.
- On the edges of the panel, apply seam sealer.
- Use a thin coat of primer on the panel and allow it to dry.
- After this, you have to use a thin coat of basecoat paint on the panel. In the end apply clear coat of paint.
- Replace all the parts which you have removed earlier that is: fuel tank, exhaust system, electrical wiring and connections and spare tire.
- Similarly, you need to replace the reinforcement, absorber and bumper cover with new ones.
- Take a short drive to check whether the repair is properly done or need some adjustments.